Monday, March 12, 2012

Repairs!

I an lucky enough to own an absolutely stunning pair of tanned deerhide gauntlets. I think they came from the Glenbow Museum in Calgary, back when my sister had a connection there and spotted them in the gallery shop, 25 years ago. As I recall, they cost me a bundle. As in, so-expensive-it-makes-you-grit-your-teeth; fur-coat territory. And I was a student at the time. But I've never, ever regretted the purchase.

[my stunning gloves]

They are unlined. The fur on them is mink or marten or something, they have really nice beadwork, and fringes. Man, I love 'em!

I wear them for skiing, with wool gloves inside. They outperform any modern glove; I prefer these to the several pairs of "outdoor performance" mitts and gloves I have purchased over the years (which cost about 1/10 of what these things did). They keep me warmer, dry faster, and look absolutely fantastic. I get lots of comments on them.

Anyways, after decades of use they are starting to show their age. The stitching in the fingers is coming apart and the leather is wearing through.

So, for my birthday this year, my darling husband took them into the shoe repair shop on 6th and had the guy repair them. He did a fantastic job, and was happy to do it too. He picked some moosehide to match.

[patches on the fingers]

[restitching on the palm seam]

Here's to another 25 years on these babies!

That repair guy is excellent. He fixes more than shoes. Here's something else he's worked his mojo on:

[meet Mr. I]

This objet-d'art, ladies and gentlement, is my purse. Needless to say, it is yet another something I'm not in a hurry to part with! The zipper on it died. Cheap Chinese, said Mr. New West Cobbler. One session with him and it was back in action.

No comments:

Post a Comment