Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Science-Speak

Love this article.

As a scientist I've had loads of training in the particular buzzwords of the field. I'm so used to it that I don't even really notice it anymore. But I should - I mean, I've been on the receiving end of a lot of jargon as well. My office uses a lot of management lingo, half of which I don't understand. Although I do try to interrupt meetings to ask "what does OTTR mean?" because I secretly suspect that half the room doesn't know, either.  

note: I don't know what it stands for. Something to do with on-time delivery or something.

Anyways, next time you talk to a scientist who is not making much effort to speak "normal", or you happen to be trying to decipher a science article, you can pull this handy-dandy table out of your pocket to translate.

[science terms, from Somerville and Hassol, Physics Today, Oct 2011]

Oh, and by the way - that's my mouse arrow there, not yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment